Skip to main content
Pharmacy and Medical Museum of Texas
site map
our facebook page
 Museum Founding 
grand opening and ribbon cutting for pharmacy and medical museum

Grand Opening/Ribbon Cutting 2014

Cuero has a rich pharmacy history dating back to the time of its founding. The exhibits in our museum are designed to show a bit of the history that was and continues to be an important part of the Cuero community.


About the Museum

The museum is located in the Heaton Brothers Building, built in 1889. The building was always used as a pharmacy and is being beautifully restored with original woodwork and cabinets.

The museum is the dream of Joe and Wanda Reuss,  descendants from the Texas pioneer days.  Joe Reuss, a lifelong resident of Cuero and a fourth generation pharmacist, has generously donated the museum and his collection of pharmaceutical items to the City of Cuero. Reuss Pharmacy was started in Indianola, Texas, by German immigrant Dr. J.M. Reuss in 1845. When Cuero was first established in 1872, Dr. J.M. Reuss decided to open a branch in Cuero. After the hurricane of 1875, that destroyed a great part of Indianola, Dr. J.M. Reuss decided to move everything to Cuero which saved him from going through the devestating hurricane of 1886 that completely destroyed Indianola

Many of the museum’s artifacts are original to the building from the Heaton Brothers Drugstore, L.L. Buttery Drugstore and the last to occupy the building, Valumart Pharmacy, which was owned by Reuss Pharmacy. Other items of historical significance come from other Cuero drugstores during the late 1800’s through the early 1900’s such as Booten & Kunitz. Reuss Pharmacy, which is the oldest drugstore in Texas, still operates to this day in another location. Because a pharmacy was more than just for medicine, the museum is able to show a glimpse into the early life of Texas.


1880's label with misspelled name of J.M. Reuss

In the 1880's, misspellings on labels was a common thing.

I. M. Reuss should have been J. M. Reuss.


More about Joe Reuss

Joe Reuss graduated from Texas A & M College with a degree in Industrial Engineering and the University of Texas College of Pharmacy.   He is largely responsible for the Cuero Federal Building (the Old Post Office) being transferred to the City and used for Cuero Heritage Museum (city owned) and offices of the Chamber of Commerce and Agriculture.

Joe has worked tirelessly for the betterment of our community and currently is active in numerous areas.  A couple examples are improvement in Alzheimers patient care, and he also serves as a member of the board for the Cuero Industrial Foundation. 


logo for city of cuero, texas

Come for a visit and take a step back in time.  

City of Cuero owned and operated. 


    Museum Hours

    Tuesday - Saturday

    10 am - 3 pm

    Closed Sundays & Mondays

    Call Us 361-485-8090





    our facebook page
    Contact Us

    Pharmacy & Medical Museum of Texas

    114 E. Main

    Cuero, Texas 77954



    Site Powered By
        BizStudio Site Manager
        Online web site design